Ummm so how is it NOVEMBER already?!?
I love the fall. I love apples. I love pumpkins. mmmmmmmmmm
I wanted to make something different for this fall season. Apple cupcakes are pretty popular, like caramel apple or apple pie. But I thought, why not add peanut butter? That pretty much makes anything better : )
My thought process was: ok you dip apples in peanut butter. you dip apples in caramel sauce. Let’s combine it!!!
Here’s how they came out:
Peanut butter cupcakes + baked apple filling + cream cheese frosting + more baked apples + caramel + chopped peanuts= bowwmmm chica booowmm bowwmm
These were huuuuge hit with my family. They didn’t last long : )
Peanut Butter Caramel Apple Cupcakes
adapted from Sallys Smorsels
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter
- 1 1/3 c sugar
- 2/3 c peanut butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 c apples chopped–sprinkled with a little cinnamon/sugar and cooked in butter
- caramel sauce— recipe here
Here’s how to make them:
- Mix butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the peanut butter and mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing between each.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla–mix
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Now to assemble them in the pan:
- line cupcake tin with liners and put a little of the batter into each
- add a small amount of cooked apples
- add a drizzle of caramel
- add another dollop of batter and smooth to cover
- BAKE at 350 for 23 minutes. Cool completely.
You can also bake the cupcakes without the apples/caramel combo in the middle and just do the pb cupcakes. Then once they’re cooled, fill them with the apple/caramels that you cooked, and then frost. Either way, they are delicious. I did both–and it just depends on your texture preferences. The ones with apples baked in the center are definitely more moist– just make sure you strain the apples after you cook them and before you add to the cupcake. Otherwise its too liquidy.
For the frosting, I made the cream cheese buttercream I mentioned here and ladled more apples on top, drizzled with caramel, and then sprinkled chopped peanuts on top.
WARNING: you may be in a coma after you eat this. And you definitely need milk on hand!
I’m trying to experiment with photography ideas. My kitchen has limited sunlight and I usually use my Iphone for pictures, or my digital camera. But I’m getting bored with the plain cupcake on a plate deal. Ideas are appreciated!!!
NEXT UP: samoas cupcakes, apple muffins, and NATIONAL VANILLA CUPCAKE DAY IS NOVEMBER 10TH!! CHECK BACK FOR AN AMAZING VANILLA RECIPE!!!