For those of you that have been following me, you know that this past fall, I moved from Buffalo, NY to NYC to pursue a baking career! Although things didn’t work out quite how we wanted–it still proved to be fruitful–and we’re glad we did it. I didn’t end up going to culinary school because it was so expensive, and instead got a job at a very well-known NYC bakery (that shall remain nameless for now….). I considered that my culinary baking education. And business school. Well, sorta.
Anyways, after much discussion and wine, my husband and I have decided to move back to the Buffalo area. It was a tough decision, but we ultimately know that that’s where we want to be and we want to settle our life there. I foresee a bakery in the near future….
SO: the blog may be a bit boring for the next few weeks as I will be A)packing things up and using up the groceries we have without buying more and B)actually moving across state.
I have a lot a lot a lot of new ideas to try out and blog about so please stay tuned!!! I just know it will be crazy for the next few weeks, but I’ll try to sneak in a few pictures if I can.
Thank you for your continued support and following!!!!
PS. the gluten free cookies were a bust. I made them twice and both times they were crumbly but chewy at the same time? If that is possible?? Once I’m back home and can secure my demand for various GF flours I will be baking GF things often!!!!
PPS. my vanilla is doing awesome! Have you made yours yet?????
As you know, I’m trying to expand my baking horizon by baking both gluten free and vegan things…..well these little babies are absolutely one of my favorites! I’ve already made them twice in one week!! Even if you’re not a vegan, these are super easy and super tasty!!!!
(nice photos, Adam!)
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
adapted from thetolerantvegan.com
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 c orange juice–I used freshly squeezed and store bought combo–but use whatever is on hand!
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 t vanilla extract–have you tried to make it yet????
- 1 T orange zest
- 1 c confectioner’s sugar
- 1 T bourbon (or whiskey–we used Jameson)
- 2 T fresh squeezed orange juice (we also tried it with just orange zest and not juice)
OR IF YOU DON’T WANT TO USE BOOZE: just use a little milk–but use soymilk for vegans!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange juice, oil, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined .
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 of the way and bake for 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack .
- To make the glaze: whisk together all the ingredients and drizzle over the cupcakes. It helps if you poke some holes in them like with a fork. And to make clean easier, put down some foil over a cookie sheet, put the cooling rack on top with the cupcakes, and drizzle. Then all the glaze that has been drizzled down over the cupcake will all land on the foil and you can just throw it out! Or lick it clean!
Gorgeous. And they were really so so chocolately and orangey and refreshingly scrumptious!!! Like even the batter was finger-lickin good! And there’s no egg….. yea you may want to watch yourself with that one!
***PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO VOTE FOR ME DAILY IN THE CELEBRATIONS.COM CUPCAKE CROWN CONTEST!!! SEE THE HOMEPAGE FOR DETAILS!!!!THANK YOU TO THOSE THAT HAVE ALREADY VOTED!!! TELL YOUR FRIENDS!**************
UP NEXT: gluten free chocolate cookies!!! finally something gluten free!!! hooorrrayyyyyy